As hard as it is to believe, I haven’t written a post here in almost a year. On the one hand I’m disappointed at my lack of discipline, on the other, I’m not surprised given the plethora of amazing opportunities that come my way on a near daily basis.
Equally stunning (for me) is the fact that it’s been 914 days since I wrote an email to Brad Feld (whom I didn’t know, other than through reading his blog) telling him I had decided to quit my job and asking for his help as I embarked on a new adventure trying to help grow the startup ecosystem in our city of Bozeman and across the state of Montana.
It’s been an incredible ride, I spent much of yesterday thinking about what’s happened over that period and how different my life is today for having taken the leap.
Given how rich my life has become, I thought I’d throw out a list of things that have happened in the hopes that it may inspire others who are thinking of taking the leap:
- Launched this blog discovered a tribe of like minded people in Bozeman and across Montana.
- Got invited to my first significant startup event in Montana – thanks Liz Marchi!
- Helped organize Montana’s first StartupWeekend, led the second one, participated in the third one and advised the student led team that organized the fourth one.
- Got invited to the UpGlobal Summit in Iowa where I met incredible startup community leaders from all across the US & made some amazing friendships and connections.
- Organized a tour of Montana for Chet Kittleson from UpGlobal, we traveled to four cities & saw the vibrant startup scene across Montana.
- Launched CodeMontana, a program to give Montana High School students experience with software development at the Montana Job Summit and got 1,2000 students coding in 6 months.
- Got invited & did a TEDx talk about CodeMontana.
- Built a startup to solve a problem that I’m passionate about & launched a Kickstarter campaign to help grow it.
- Was asked to throw my hat in the ring to run the Blackstone LaunchPad at Montana State University, did that and was selected, now I get to spend my days working with mind bending startups like PocketNC…
The ride hasn’t been without bumps, putting a big dent in our income stream (sorry honey!), burning through some of my winnings from the RightNow Technologies acquisition & the accompanying stress on our family, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat!
P.S. If you are going to give this a run, do yourself a favor and read Brad’s book Startup Life so you’ll know what you’re in for, it wasn’t out when I started, your experience will be MUCH the better for reading this first so you know what you’re in for!